I am in the process of moving this blog, my podcast blog, the Biofortified blog, and everything else to a new host. I thought, let’s do this carefully and make sure not to screw up any of these sites. Starting with the podcast blog, I initiated the domain transfer on Saturday. While waiting for the transfer to occur, I started a couple more. My blog was going to be last. Since I haven’t actively used it lately, it could remain offline while I set up the others.
The first one switches over without a hitch, in just one day, things were back up and running. Of course, starting with that one helped me notice a malfunction in Dreamweaver that left some uploaded images on the server. So before the old hosting account closed I made sure to download every last data bit for the other sites. And contact with the new host’s technical support educated me that I could have changed the DNS nameserver to point to the new host and begin using the new location while waiting for the domains to move over. Only the less-used blog, this one, was left to do that with. (Also, due to the fact that inoculatedmind.com was the primary domain in my previous account – it had the working keys to to DNS changes and was the only change that was working.)
So to make a long story short of the old account being deleted and the sites going down, and the time spent chasing down who to talk to about what is taking the other domains so long and how the nameserver cannot be changed when a transfer is pending, we’re left just waiting for the domains to transfer. And I’m left with the irony that my own sites, which I used as guinea-pig and lowest-priority are the only ones that work!
And the one that I hold in highest importance and that others depend on, is still down. Files are all there, database backed up in triplicate, domain in limbo.